What is corrective hair transplant surgery?
The hair transplant procedure is a minimally invasive surgery; nevertheless, it requires the surgeon to be skillful and attentive. If the surgeon is an inexperienced one with a lack of comprehensive knowledge in this type of surgery and technique, then the procedure may not yield the expected results. Some of the characteristics of a bad hair transplant are that the patient may have unnatural-looking hair with still bald patches.
So a corrective hair transplant surgery aims to overcome the inexperience of the previous surgeon and correct the undesired results and bad-looking hair. For this reason, the surgeon may transplant new hair follicles into balding areas throughout the scalp to cover the bald areas and fix the pluggy hair follicles and the unnatural-looking hair.
Causes For A Bad Hair Transplant
The hair transplant surgery may fail or yield unsatisfactory results for the following reasons:
- The surgeon may not be experienced in hair transplant surgery or the hair transplant technique used. As the old saying states: ‘’practice makes it perfect’’. This is the case for, especially FUE and DHI techniques which require a skillful surgeon who aced these methods by practice. If the doctor cannot utilize the donor-recipient ratio then the transplanted grafts may not hold on to the scalp, which eventually causes the hair transplant procedure to fail.
- The patient may not be a good candidate for the hair transplant procedure in the first place. The doctor should conduct a physical examination and obtain the medical history of the patient to decide if they make a good candidate for the procedure. They need to run some tests to decide if the patient can have the local anesthetics. If there is anything wrong with the patient that poses an obstacle to the surgery then the hair transplant procedure should be canceled. One of the reasons why the patient will not be a good candidate for a hair transplant is the cause of hair loss. Alopecia aerate, for instance, is a chronic disease with repeated episodes.
- Another cause of a bad hair transplant procedure is the lack of post-operative care. Post-operative care is as important as the surgery itself. This is because if the patient does not take care of their hair and scalp, the new hair follicles may not survive on the scalp. Scratching the scalp, doing heavy exercises, and inappropriate hair wash may adversely affect the area of surgery.
- The surgeon may have misunderstood the needs and desires of the patient. They may not conduct the surgery in a way that will create the look the patient aspire for. Also, it might be the patient that may have misunderstood the surgeon and the procedure. It takes some amount of time after a hair transplant procedure to see the full results. If the patient rushes to see a fully covered hair just a few months following the surgery then they will be disappointed. It takes a full year for the new hair follicles to strengthen and grow fully. The doctor should inform the patient of the post-operative care and the whole process to avoid misunderstanding.
Signs And Results Of A Hair Transplant
A bad hair transplant will be easily noticeable because even a few and small errors will make a huge difference. This is because hair is an open area, unlike internal organs. Here is the signs and results of a bad hair transplant:
- Excessive scarring in the area of surgery
- An unnatural-looking hair
- A pluggy look of the hair follicles
- Hair follicles very close to each other
- Complications associated with surgery
- Very broad hairline
- Large forehead
How To Fix A Bad Hair Transplant
It is possible to fix a bad hair transplant but the corrective surgery should be conducted with care and patience taking into account the patient’s needs and desires. The doctor may change the hairline and make the forehead larger or smaller. Pluggy hair follicles can be replanted to give the grafts a more natural look. If there are still very bald patches throughout the scalp, the doctor can implant more grafts to improve hair density. Some patients may also like to have a completely bald head then all the grafts can be taken out. If the patient is uncomfortable with scarring, then the surgeon may also need to fix scars after the surgery.
Bad Hair Transplant Before After Photos
Here are bad hair transplant examples and before after photos.